I thought I would do something a little different on my blog, this will be a 2 parter How to add social media buttons for WordPress and I will also be posting a How to add social media buttons for Blogger soon.
Linking your various social medias’ to your blog it allows for more traffic and subscribers to your blog. It is a great way to get your blog out there in the blogging word.And a great way for your readers to keep up with you.
When I first did this I had the hardest time figuring it out. I looked on various blogs got frustrated at some but I finally figured it out. I hope that I can be of some help to you with this learning curve.LOL
Let us get onto the post shall we
1. Search Free Social Media Buttons and waaahla. There are loads on the internet
2. Once you find the social media images you want to use save them on your computer, upload them to your WordPress Media Library
3. View the images and take note of the File URL. I just Copied and pasted each one to a word document just to make things a little easier so that you can paste it into your html code.
4. Once you have all your File URL’s go (Appearance > Widgets) and look the text widget. Drag and drop the text widget to the sidebar. * As you can see I already have a Text widget I named Follow me on Social Media. But for the purpose of this I have a blank one where the arrow is pointing.
5. Click on the widget to open it.
Below is the basic code for adding an image link using HTML coding which you will paste into the text widget.
<a href=”WEB ADDRESS OF LINK HERE” target=”_blank”><img src=”FILE URL OF IMAGE HERE”></a>
Here is an example of my HTML code for my Twitter icon 🙂 Just to help you out a little more
When you are complete just Save and move one.
You can use this code to add the rest of your other social media icons. Just paste in the web address of the link and image File URL for each one of the social media buttons.
You might also have to size your social media buttons. I re-sized mine to 30 x 30. You can do that by editing image here on WordPress. If you need help with that just leave me a comment.
I hope you found this helpful